Sunday, February 9, 2020

How I Write a Novel - Part 1 Prayer & Faith

By Elva Cobb Martin

Happy  Valentines Week!

Since I've just sent in my fourth novel and am starting work on my fifth, I am inviting you along to see how I write a novel. It will be a good review for me and, hopefully, help to you in writing your novel.

Here's a quick outline teaser of the coming blogs:

Part 1 Cover the project in prayer and faith - Today's blog
Part 2 How I Write the First Draft
Part 3  How I Write the Second Draft
Part 4 Print Out Second Draft to read and mark.
Part 5 My Editing Process 
Part 6 Fine Tuning and Final Checks before sending off


Part 1 - Faith and Prayer

Every time I start a novel, I have to believe God as though it were my first. There it is. I admit it. This keeps me depending on Him versus my own ability.

Two Important Aspects 



A) Study and confession of the Word of God--especially the promises relating to writing.

Jesus said in John 6:63: "These words that I speak unto you, they are spirit and they are life."

In 2 Timothy 3:16 we read: "All scripture is given by inspiration of God and is profitable..."

A Greek study of the word inspiration reveals it means God's breath. God breathed into those He chose to write the Bible, and the words they wrote had God's breath in them. Think of a balloon you blow up and tie in a knot. Your breath, part of you, is still in that balloon even though you're no longer blowing into it.

God's breath is still contained in the Word of God, the Bible. This is why Jesus could boldly say, "These words...are spirit and life."
No other words or books can make this claim truthfully.

This is why I read through the Bible systematically each year. This is why I attend a Spirit-filled, Bible-preaching church weekly. I want God's breath to keep blowing on me. I want more of His Spirit and His life flowing through me and my writing.

Another great way to release God's breath into our lives (and writing) is by verbal confession of scriptures, and having faith in those words to bring life.

I have compiled some Christian Writers Confessions of Faith

If you email me at elvacmartin@gmail.com, I'll be happy to email you a copy of my 12 Christian Writers' Faith Confessions." 

Here are the first three:

1) My tongue is the pen of a ready writer. Ps.45:1

2) A good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth that which is good.    Luke 6:45

3) (My) pleasant words are as honeycomb, sweet to the soul and health to the bones. Prov. 16:24

B) Prayer - Mine and Others


1) Prayer Partners
I have a group of prayer warrior partners to whom I send a monthly prayer request list of personal and writing needs. They are free to send me their personal requests to lift up. Their prayers have helped in many ways.

2) Daily Prayer for my Writing:
Lord, I invite and thank you for being a Co-Laborer in my writing today.
Help me work hard and not get distracted. In faith I ask for:
1) Your plans, wisdom, inspiration, plotting, characterization, dialog, clear DPOV, my best writing, and Christian theme and nuggets to impact readers’ lives for good.
2) Good computer operation and time spent, efficiency, best daily schedule, right diet, exercise.  Help me not spend too much time researching, but get accurate details.
3) Strength, energy, good health, good sleep and good chair posture.
4)We ask favor and divine connections to helpers, editors, for best editing, publishing, book covers, great street team and reviews, sales and good social media action.  
Help me write a great book in six months and give favor for a movie contract.
I thank You in advance that You are going to pull this off perfectly as I trust You and WRITE.  Ps. 37:5  The Passion Translation. Amen

In my next blog I will tell you how the Lord gave me the first bare outline of the novel I am beginning --during my prayer time last week.

Thanks for stopping by. Would love to read your comments and please share this blog by clicking on the small icons below.

Elva 

Elva Cobb Martin is 2020 President of the SC Chapter of American Christian Fiction Writers. She is a former school teacher and a graduate of Anderson University and Erskine College. She has three inspirational novels published, Summer of Deception, a contemporary romantic suspense, and two historical romances, In a Pirate’s Debt, and Marisol, Book 1 in a new Charleston Brides series for  Wild Heart Books. All three novels have spent time on Amazon’s 100 Best Sellers List for Women’s Religious Fiction. She has indie published a Bible study on Amazon, Power Over Satan, on the  believer's authority in Christ. Decision, Charisma, and Home Life have carried Elva's articles. She and her husband Dwayne are retired ministers. A mother and grandmother, Elva lives in South Carolina. Connect with her on her web site http://www.elvamartin.com, Twitter www.twitter.com/ElvaCobbMartin; Facebook http://www.facebook.com/elvacobbmartin;  and Pinterest https://www.pinterest.com/elvacobbmartin  
 Link to her romance novels and non-fiction works 
on Amazon: http://amzn.to/2pOgVHI 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment